Friday, 16 January 2015

New year, new wardrobe project

New year, new wardrobe project

I am not one for resolutions as such, as I always break them and it's nearly the middle of January as well. Instead I have set myself a challenge. I don't have a lot of money at the moment with only doing the occasional craft course whilst looking after the kids, so I can't go out and buy clothes like I used to. That being said I still love clothes and still quite often look in the wardrobe and say I have nothing to wear. So with that in mind I set myself a challenge. I am a craft hoarder and already have a cupboard full of fabrics and a box full of patterns, so sewing a new wardrobe should be realitivly inexpensive. Armed with my supplies I challenge myself to sew at least one new item of clothing a month this year. So January next year I can show you a year's worth of sewing and my new wardrobe!

To start off with I have chosen a pattern that came free with Sew magazine which my husband got my a subscription to last year. I chose it mainly due to the name Jiffy and the fact that it said simple to sew with 2 main pattern pieces.
Next I chose my fabric. This is vintage 100% cotton fabric that I had just over two meters of for ages. I could just squeeze the pattern off if I shortened the length which was no problem for me as I am short anyway.

New year, new wardrobe project
 The photo really doesn't do the fabric justice as the oranges and yellows are really vibrant against the black background.
New year, new wardrobe project
 It turned out that perhaps this pattern wasn't going to be such a jiffy to make when I noticed how many darts were included to shape the dress. I also decided to make the dress with the bow front so that added to the work load.
New year, new wardrobe project
 I'm not sure how they get away with saying only 2 pattern pieces as you need to have facings as well.
New year, new wardrobe project

So there you have it, pattern chosen, fabric picked, pin and cut. I just need to sew it now and share it later, when I will have my new addition to my 2015 wardrobe.


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...