Monday, 20 May 2013

Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial

I don't know if you're like me but with my efforts to be green I end up with a lot of bags for life knocking about. Many of them are freebie cloth totes that I have been given and although good for the environment are not so attractive to look at. This is one of my shopping totes.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 So, I had just received my latest issue of Mollie Makes magazine and it came with some free vintage style buttons. The perfect opportunity to pretty up my bag.
First I turned the bag inside out so that the printing wasn't so clear.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 Then I cut five circles for each flower I wanted to make. They were 3'' in diameter about the size of a jam jar lid.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 Then I folded each circle into quarters.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 I stitched along the bottom of the petal with a running stitch and then gathered the thread.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 I continued to add the petals to the same thread until all five were on. Then I joined the first to the last with a few stitched forming the flower.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 Then I cut a piece of felt with pinking shears just slightly larger than the vintage button.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 I sewed on the flower first to the tote.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 Then added the felt circle and vintage button to cover over any raw edges.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 Then I added some more.
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 
 I think it would look great with a whole sea of flowers covering it, but that'll have to be a work in progress!
Made on Monday # 6 - fabric flowers up-cycled shopping tote tutorial 


LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...